2026-08-02

ELLE: good serie...But as a prequel?

 


TW:CONTAINS SPOILERS OF THE SERIE ELLE!!

It's been exactly one month and one day since ELLE:The Serie came out on Prime Video, the prequel of the famous movie Legally Blonde. The serie was instantly loved, however, the public, or at least, most of it, thinks that it is unfit as Legally Blonde's prequel. 

Why would the public think that? And, is it true?

Let's dig into it for this new gem!

Hey clovers!
I don't know how many of you watched this serie. I watched it just when it came out and at that time various opinions came out, whether this serie is a good prequel or not. I personally loved the serie and haven't really thought about it until I looked through the edits on Tik Tok.

Before getting into it, I wanna clarify that this isn't meant to hate on the serie nor on anyone that have been a part of it, as I said, I loved the serie truly. Although, a serie can be good as one but not as a prequel.
Let's start by looking into the definition of a prequel: our beloved Cambridge Dictionary says that a prequel is "a film, a book or a play that develops the story of an earlier film, etc. by telling you what happened before the events of the first film". Let's keep that in mind!
The serie is made up of 8 episodes and it in fact tells the story of Elle before getting into Harvard but there are some details, tiny but still relevant, that make the story unbelievable as a prequel but more than believable as a stand-alone serie.

Let's break it down into 3 detail that I noticed and felt weird at the moment!

1. The whole Seattle thing

The strangest thing is the ending. I found it very hard to believe that she wanted to stay in Seattle. Elle Woods, the girl with a signature color, that never even wanted seattle and planned to get an internship with Cosmopolitan just to go back. But above all of it, stays the fact that she goes to UCLA  so she will come back to LA. The thing with series is that you may think they eneded and then years apart there's a next season announcement. What I'm saying is that yes she decided in this season to stay in Seattle but we all know she's going to go back to her life in LA at some point. That's also why I'm trying not to get too attached to the ships cause I know that at some point we'll have to say goodbye. I trust the writers and I know this will all make more sense in the next season but I still put it in the cons cause for now, it doesn't go along with the movie story at all.


2. 1995

This is one of the most basic critic every movie/serie whatsover ever had. It happened with Wuthering Heights, The Odyssey and many more, and yet, here I am, making the same critic to this serie. I have my reasons i swear!
I'm not gonna talk about the clothing cause they were plausible to me, but I wanna talk about how homosexuality is represented into the serie. Apart from the Lizbian joke and Kimberly's family, everyone seemed to accept it quite too easily, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy for Liz and Kimberly (although at the start I kind of shipped Liz with Elle), but it doesn't seem very realistic, don't you think? In 1995, year in which the story took place, there were still not many laws that protected the LGBT+ community and definitely there was still a lot of widespread discrimination. 
Did you know that in 1994 a new military policy was in effect? This policy was the DADT: Don't Ask Don't tell policy. It prohibited military personnel to harass physically or verbally the closeted homosexuals as long as they hid their homosexuality and didn't act it because open homosexuals weren't allowed to serve in the United States Armed Forces. This policy lasted for SEVENTEEN YEARS, mind you.
Surely we're not talking about the military in the serie, but still was very strange.


3. Her signature color
I rewatched the first legally blonde and I do have to say that her signature was showed and seen differently. This is definitely because Seattle grew on her but I noticed much less her signature colour as her signature colour. I think this point should be on pros cause now I feel like it's genius (chapeau to the writers and producers). From how i saw it, here the colour pink was more used as a black sheep situation. And I loved that it was still very present, meaning that she didn't dim her light nor changed to be accepted.
I still put this as a con because the colour in the movies had a much more positive connotation, probably related to the place LA.

Overall I do think that if there will be another season (wink wink writers and producers) it will all make much more sense into the story that we all know of Elle Woods. This is me saying that where I'm sitting the serie is a good prequel and for the ones that don't think so: patience my dear, you will!
Again I loved the serie i devoured it in like 1 day (not even kidding) and these are just very tiny details that caught my attention. 
This is just my humble opinion tho. Let me know if you ever noticed them or other details that caught your eyes!

See you soon with another gem baes!  ★

No comments:

crew girl - love triangle or not?

 So this new series was released on Netflix: Crew Girl . Of course I binge-watched the whole serie and I have A LOT to say. The weirdest thi...