2026-08-28

live music is slowly dying

In how many bars/pub did you go with live music there? Not so many huh?
This is why I really think that live music is dying. And when I say live music I don't mean concerts in stadiums or arenas where only singers with a certain follow can perform, I'm talking about bars and pubs with niche singers that are trying to make a living through their passion, this is what it's now becoming only a fever dream. I seriously don't remember the last time I saw a band a singer ina bar or a pub and before you say that I should go in the right spot at the right time more than 25% of UK pubs closed since 2001.
But why did they become so rare?

Let's dig into it for this new gem!!

Hey clovers!!
Missed me? Cause I for sure did. This was a drastic change even for me but I know it's for the best!!

Today we're talking about live music in bar and pubs and how they are slowly disappearing.
There are many reasons why it's that and no, it's not because teenagers and others stopped playing music. I'm a teenager and I play. I have tons of friends who play so that is definitely not it.
These reasons can be social, financial or even more simple.
Here are a few reasons:

MONEY
We live in a word filled with capitalism everywhere so I know it's not a shocking statement.
The biggest problem in my opinion that are related to money are two
   - teenagers
They are often pre-judged and that is why when they ask for a very reasonable price the owners of bar and pubs think it's too much just because they are teenager and think they are unprofessional or not good enough to perform for that price.
   - bar owners don't usually know the real price of performing somewhere
When performing there's a lot to count on the price: gas, how long do they perform and if they have their own speakers, jacks, mics and mixers you have to count that too and let me tell you that they are pricey.
I mean I get that not everyone has played in his life and it's more than understandable to not know about the prices of all these things but once someone explains it to you you should agree that the singers are probably asking for a very reasonable price or even less.

MASS FOLLOW
Some people love niche artists, discovering new ones and start admiring them but I'm pretty sure that it's the minority, a larger amount of people mass follow the most popular band/singers. Of course saying that Beyoncé or Bruno Mars are not that good is blasphemy, they deserve the love and support they are getting but before they got here don't you think they had to start somewhere else than stadiums like a bar for instance? They got their chance but why aren't we giving it to others? I'm not saying to support every niche singer or band you listen but one that really left you stunned could be a great start!

KNOWING THE LYRICS MEANS MORE PEOPLE DANCE
This is one of the biggest reason why pubs now have DJs
There's actually a study on this: people tend to dance more if they know a song because it is a familiar feeling and it makes us feel comfortable and safe, there's less fear of missing a beat or not hitting the right dance moves.
Of course there are songs that are unfamiliar but still works and that is when a song has a really good groove, a very enjoyable rhythm that makes people dance

These were three of  what I think are the main reason of live music downfall.
If sometimes you get the feeling of listening to the same song just with another pattern try and go to a pub with live music! You could find a new artist that will make you feel new emotions with new songs that are less commercial because, we have to be honest most of the songs are now becoming more commercial and less sentimental, that's why sometime you have the feeling that you already listened to a song.
It is sad to think that now pubs only have some genres like niche rock or jazz or in Ireland mostly, folk, they should have every genre for everyone's taste preference but there are some problems to get through first.

Let me know what you think
And I'll see you next friday!!★★

4 comments:

inès <3 said...

Your article is really interesting! Personally, my friends and I love going to bars that have small live shows featuring independent singers. They happen from time to time, and we absolutely love going. There’s such a special atmosphere, discovering new music and seeing passionate people doing what they love for a living. And it’s true that this kind of thing is becoming less and less common, which is such a shame.

giaaa ★ said...

It is a shame! I'm so glad that in some parts of the world live music is very much alive and I'm so happy you and your friend enjoy them!! but it is becoming very rare sadly

Rambling Corner said...

ur article is so interesting and honestly feels so true! I h8 how hard it is 2 find live music, tho im so happy that im starting 2 hear more about ppl playing in local places other then bars 2 promote their music more b4 they try and play bars, tho it dos lead 2 another issue that ive found 4 a lot of younger audiences where they wont have the freedom 2 explore the music scene and help small artists :( i rlly do hope that changes more in the future so live music stays alive :((

giaaa ★ said...

I hope so too live music is so much fun for the audience and dare I say for the artist too!!

crew girl - love triangle or not?

 So this new series was released on Netflix: Crew Girl . Of course I binge-watched the whole serie and I have A LOT to say. The weirdest thi...