9 august , Daisy Chain Fields festival had taken place and it was magical But not everyone knows the whole story there's much more to unravel. It actually all started in the '90 the lilith fair festival, created by Sarah Mclachlan unfortunately this festival only lasted a couple of years however it left a huge mark , it made history and a movie: lilith fair building a mistery this is where Daisy Chain Fields comes from as Chappell Roan referred to it once, lilith fair's sister
let's dig into it for this new gem!
Hey clovers!!
This will be a very long post so brace yourself, take to drink or eat and get comfy!!
to anyone who got the chance to go to the festival respectfully, fuck you. I would've loved to go but as you guys know, I live across the frickin' Ocean.
There's a lot to say so, let's start!
LILITH FAIR
This festival was founded by Sarah Mclachlan and it was meant to challenge the music industry that confidently stated that having an only women line up will NOT bring a large public, main reason why on the radio they wouldn't put two women artists in a row. Sarah wanted to prove them wrong and she reached her goal. If you think that it was a flop just because it lasted only a few years, you're wrong. It definitely changed something in the way that we think, in fact, it revisited in the 2000s and again today.
The thing I love the most about this festival is not only that their 1st year they already become top 1 festival with most money donated, I also love dearly the meaning behind the name: lilith fair. If you guys dont know Lilith is a religious figure. In the myth, she's the first partner of Adam but since she refused to be treated less than an equal to Adam decides to escape Eden's garden.
While religiously she is seen very negatively, nowadays Lilith is a feminist figure that also represented this festival.
This festival was founded by Sarah Mclachlan and it was meant to challenge the music industry that confidently stated that having an only women line up will NOT bring a large public, main reason why on the radio they wouldn't put two women artists in a row. Sarah wanted to prove them wrong and she reached her goal. If you think that it was a flop just because it lasted only a few years, you're wrong. It definitely changed something in the way that we think, in fact, it revisited in the 2000s and again today.
The thing I love the most about this festival is not only that their 1st year they already become top 1 festival with most money donated, I also love dearly the meaning behind the name: lilith fair. If you guys dont know Lilith is a religious figure. In the myth, she's the first partner of Adam but since she refused to be treated less than an equal to Adam decides to escape Eden's garden.
While religiously she is seen very negatively, nowadays Lilith is a feminist figure that also represented this festival.
SERENA JOY
This is the song that literally debuted the festival.
Serena joy by Olivia Rodrigo is a social critique song made around a character from a handmaid's tale from which takes the title . In this serie Serena joy is a very antifeminist character who thinks the rule dont touch her cause of her status not gonna lie I never saw the series but thanks to Fandom, I found out
that her character is very dynamic and throughout the serie she changes mindset (tin
y spoiler)
What I love about this song is that it feels like a letter to this character. Olivia is basically warning Serena that her mindset is shit and that the world does NOT work like that "if they do it to them they're gonna do it to you”.
This is the song that literally debuted the festival.
Serena joy by Olivia Rodrigo is a social critique song made around a character from a handmaid's tale from which takes the title . In this serie Serena joy is a very antifeminist character who thinks the rule dont touch her cause of her status not gonna lie I never saw the series but thanks to Fandom, I found out
that her character is very dynamic and throughout the serie she changes mindset (tin
y spoiler)
What I love about this song is that it feels like a letter to this character. Olivia is basically warning Serena that her mindset is shit and that the world does NOT work like that "if they do it to them they're gonna do it to you”.
Also, how frickin' powerful is the line "look the life of your dreams is beyond that cliff" ? it means that your freedom is worth dying for and that were not free until everyone is (from my point of view but, of course, it's opinion based and I'd like to know your P.O.V.!!).
The most powerful part of the song is definitely the bridge While I listen to it I ALWAYS imagine Olivia raging at serena passive aggressively, because she doesn't understand the consequences of her actions
Olivia has always been a very activist artist and not the fake one, what she says,she does and this song, the whole festival is proof.
The most powerful part of the song is definitely the bridge While I listen to it I ALWAYS imagine Olivia raging at serena passive aggressively, because she doesn't understand the consequences of her actions
Olivia has always been a very activist artist and not the fake one, what she says,she does and this song, the whole festival is proof.
DAISY CHAIN FIELDS FESTIVAL
So here we are, 29 August, the first ever Daisy Chain festival that made 20 MILION DOLLARS which is awesome to say the very least.
So here we are, 29 August, the first ever Daisy Chain festival that made 20 MILION DOLLARS which is awesome to say the very least.
The lineup was incredible. Artists like Chappell, Doechii, Mitski and of course the founder Olivia Rodrigo were there , performing for non profit partners like baby2baby and planned parenthood.
As special guests we had the cofounder of Lilith fair, Sarah Mclachlan who sang with Olivia “Angel”, dedicated to Dolly Parton, that recently passed away unfortunately.
Also the fact that they vandalised her star so soon? I'm disgusted, but that's another story.
Other than an 11 hour women only line up, there were women only art installations from rising or not artists, such as guerrilla girls and Kelly Wall
Just like Lilith fair, the name has a meaning and it wasn't randomly picked, Olivia Rodrigo explains it in an interview, when she visualized the festival, she imagined girls making daisy crowns together , a wholesome girlhood moment, a tiny gesture that connects us all unknowingly.
I love the meaning so much because it's something that we can all collectively relate to, which is amazingly cute.
PROTESTS
Although I'd LOVE to end the post here , there's one last thing to talk about : protests. To be more accurate, I should talk about pro-life protests. Besides the fact that I'm NOT pro life, I found protesting for control over women's bodies in a women only charity festival very disrespectful and immature.
Although I'd LOVE to end the post here , there's one last thing to talk about : protests. To be more accurate, I should talk about pro-life protests. Besides the fact that I'm NOT pro life, I found protesting for control over women's bodies in a women only charity festival very disrespectful and immature.
Besides this tiny but very frustrating detail, I think that Daisy Chain as Lilith fair is a great initiative that I hope will continue for eternity and if it won't (hopefully not), it will mark even more than her sister (And yes, I love how Chappell Roan described Daisy Chain's festival as lilith fair's sister, I think it suits it very well!).
Let me know what you think!!
And I'll see you Friday with another gem!!☆☆

No comments:
Post a Comment