Recently (and by recently I mean yesterday) I came across an artist I used to listen to, a couple of years ago: Halsey. She was one of my favorite artist for quite a while and since now bad at love is trending again, I decided to relisten to some of her songs and boy, it was strange
I don't know why I had this feeling but it made me think.
Not gonna lie to you guys, I already bought a cd of hers because I found out I still love her and her music very dearly and therefore, she deserves to be in my cd collection.
Let's dig into it for this new gem!
Hey clovers!!
How was your week? I know some of you started school so how was your first day? I start next week and to be honest I'm kinda freaking out.
Anywho!
Today we're gonna talk about the weird feeling we get, or at least I do, when we re-discover something that belonged in our past.
I think this is the most nostalgic situation you could ever get yourself into and it is very obviously so.
I'm going to use as an example what I've experienced while relistening to Halsey.
I decided to listen to Manic, the first album I've ever loved of hers with her biggest hit probably, Without Me. At the very first note she sang memories just came flushing in, as if I was looking through a photobook of my childhood. Before I even became a Conan Gray fan there was Halsey. I even had a fan-page about her! The fan-page was sooo bad because it was like Charli D'amelio's fan-pages with all the "aesthetics" and I mean, it was the vibe of that time but still... kinda awk.
Now I wonder if I still like her like I did years ago or is it the nostalgia speaking for me. This is something that I ask myself in every nostalgic post: whether it's with flip phone or physical media or magazines I always ask myself "Do I really miss all of it?". Nostalgia is a very unique emotion. Not another one will give you the same feeling apart maybe from melancholy. It's a happy feeling mixed with sadness and maybe a side of regret.
As you all know I'm very nostalgic. I don't think a day in my life has passed without me feeling nostalgic towards a movie or a photo or a childhood serie. As I say in all my posts, you don't have to take me literally, I'm still the girl who has a blog in the big 2k26 although I think this time is different, this time, I can exaggerate and say that this is a common situation and that I'm not the only one who experienced it.
It can happen with music, as well as movies, photos, and who knows, people.
You know when they say to never get back with an ex because there's a high chance this time you're just in love with the memories and not with the person anymore? I wonder if it's the same with things. I wonder if I now like Halsey because her music occupied a large place in my childhood and listening to her music makes me feel closer to a part of my life that I'm slowly forgetting.
Whether it's true or not, I don't think it has the same impact and meaning with things. Let me break down for you my tangled up thoughts on this. Nostalgia is a feeling that can be happy or sad. We can decide to live forever in the past and forget the future that awaits us OR... We can simply be happy to have lived that specific moment that was so beautiful and wholesome that we want it back. I agree that living in the past is bad but forgetting about having one is much worse in my opinion. Forgetting is not healing, not for me at least.
Also, if we have to be completely true, an inanimate object can harm us only if we let it, we can control it, a person on the other hand, we cannot. That's the significant difference that makes giving a second chance to objects much more easy and less heartbreaking than giving it to a person we loved.
Now that I think about it, maybe music wasn't the best example. we re-discover music every day, and yes, it holds memories but maybe it's a much more complicated system. I don't know, what do you think?
Whether it's nostalgia or not I will still buy that cd because I'm a very nostalgia driven person and plus it's only 11 bucks which, in this economy, is very little.
Let me know what you think!!
And I'll see you next friday with another gem!!★★
No comments:
Post a Comment