2026-08-14

Flip phones do it better!

I saw lots of videos of people deciding to buy a flip phone and use only that for one week or more to then give their opinion. It always intrigued me. Just a couple of years ago phones were just an accessory that you could throw away whenever but now we are much more attached to it.
I always wondered two things: 1 if they really only used the flip phone and 2, if it changed how they now use a modern phone.
Every time I feel like the 2000s were just much happier than today and maybe we really had to stop technology and innovations right there.

Let's dig into it for this new gem!

 
Hey clovers!
Do you remember this iconic scene from the first Devil wears Prada? Honestly, do you think you would ever recreate it without freaking out? I know I wouldn't. Just thinking about it my mind starts spiraling. All the photos I'd loose and memories but also the huge FOMO I'd feel.
For those who don't know, FOMO is an acronym for Fear Of Missing Out, the fear that someone you know mostly is having their best time without you.
I think I always had a relatively big FOMO but it definitely increased thanks to social medias. Seeing all the photos and videos of others having fun it didn't help much. 
So would use a flip phone help with it and doomscrolling? I honestly don't think so. I do believe that it would help with doomscrolling but with my FOMO I'm sure it wouldn't, or at least not instantly. Being the only one to use flip phone and not to have socials would only increase it more.
Basically the only solution would be create a time machine and go  back to those years because I truly believe that, beside a couple of aspects like impossible body standards and insane amount of paparazzi for instance, they were the best years.
I mean, the 2000s had magazines tamagotchi, flip phones, cds and dvds and the best rom-coms ever created, 10 things I hate about you, She's the man, 27 dresses and I could go on and on.
Unfortunately this is very romanticized and some of these things that I listed were just in the USA or they were better there.
But enough with the chit chat!
Other than social medias what makes us so attached to our phones?
First of all we now have everything there. Credit cards, movies, music, photos and videos, contacts and so on. Basically if we lose or yeet our phone we are doomed.
Secondly the phone is kind of a connection with the outside world. we read news there we find out about the new trends and we listen to people's storytimes. Without it we would be an outcast.
And of course there is the addictive side of new phones that release dopamine to our body, the feel-good hormones.
But were flip phones really less addicting? Yes.
The addicting part of the phone is the endless scrolling and push notifications that flip phones did not have yet.
Also, phones before apple came were only used to call and text, mostly. I mean, maybe you can be addicted to texting but I doubt that.
As I said in my first post, back in 2000s things had character and they reflected your personality. Today phones all look the same beside maybe the cover, they are all a big rectangular screen. Flip phones on the other hand were so unique and not addicting.
I mean imagine you just broke up with your boyfriend/girlfriend or had a fight with your best friend and just yeet the phone in the first trash bin you see? Apart from being way too attached, another reason why we wouldn't do this is the cost. Phones now are pricey as hell so who would break it just for the plot? I know I wouldn't
So can the flip phone cure doomscrolling? Yes but you would live as an outcast and honestly, right now it wouldn't be the worst idea.
But if you want to have other options that will not affect your FOMO my advice is to get a life, respectfully, like one of my favourite youtuber, @lyndsiann, said. If your life is busy enough with activities, hobbies and passions you wouldn't have as much time to spend doomscrolling. The only way to stop this addiction is to get hobbies that still release dopamine to your body but in a much healthier way.
Who knows, maybe the answer is right under your nose right now, start a blog. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be yours. A safe space for you to yap about whatever you want!

let me know what do you think!
And I'll see you soon with another gem!!★★


No comments:

crew girl - love triangle or not?

 So this new series was released on Netflix: Crew Girl . Of course I binge-watched the whole serie and I have A LOT to say. The weirdest thi...